Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Moved in!

Even though we arrived on Saturday, I just moved into my little studio apartment just outside the city center and just got consistent access to the internet.


Saturday and Sunday Justin and I explored the center of the city - what a beautiful place! We attempted to visit the van Gogh museum and passed by the Anne Frank House and Rijksmuseum, all had very long lines so we'll try again not over the weekend.


Sunday Justin and I ate breakfast at a really nice cafe (it's called Nielsen if you're every visiting, I recommend it!) in the city and chatted with a Dutch couple who ended up buying us a slice of Dutch Appletaart (delicious!). We also went to the famous "I amsterdam" letters in a public square where two very talented gentlemen played a rendition of a Bach piece on two accordians.



I also quite enjoyed seeing this game of chess in the square.


Anyways, we're working on settling into our classes, etc. at the moment. We're hoping to do so more serious exploring this weekend and then start traveling to other cities on the weekend.

I'll write more soon!

4 comments:

  1. Alicia, it looks very nice! I can't wait to come visit. Nieslen...the same name as the company I worked for in Florence!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making this blog! Looks like you've done some significant exploring already! I'm super jealous that you get to go exploring all over the world and I'm stuck in Cincinnati the whole time. :) The babies at the schools I'm teaching at are super-great. The high-school students are even respectful. Yay! Julie moves in on Saturday, I think. No more empty room that makes me so sad! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that giant chessboard is awesome. My last comment was rescinded because I realized that yes, it was near the Hard Rock Cafe once I enlarged the picture.

    If you can, as a favor to me, get some awesome pictures of the graffiti I would appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete